Paris!
Last month we spent three days in Paris. After a bus tour of the city and a picnic in the gardens of the medieval Cluny museum, we spent Friday afternoon in and outside the Louvre.




The pope was visiting Paris the weekend we were there so the Louvre was nearly empty! The only crowd in the entire place was in front of the Mona Lisa. We thought we might get a glimpse of the pope (Anna really wanted to see the pope riding in his "papamobile" as the French call it) but the crowds along the roadside were several people deep for several hours in advance.
In one of the Dutch halls, we played "Charades with the Masters."

This was my favorite Rembrandt in the hall but I prudently decided against acting this one out.

For Lucas, Paris = the Eiffel Tower. He was so excited to see it that we decided to go the first evening. We somehow managed to get there a few minutes before sunset. We were so happy to be able to watch the lights of the city turn on one by one.

Here's Jane seen from the tower with the Tower of Montparnasse and the Champs de Mars in the background. We decided that hers was probably the only Amish hat on the Eiffel tower that night.

Saturday morning, we went to visit Monet's gardens and home at Giverny. It was so beautiful. After just one day in Paris, the kids were kind of relieved to leave the city and be someplace natural. This is definitely a recurring theme for them. The whole place felt kind of dreamy with its lazy stream and sleepy willows.

Here we are along one of the garden paths.

Saturday evening we went to the basilica of
Sacré-
Cœur at the top of Montmarte, an international gathering place for bohemians young and old. We listened to music on the steps outside. It was really fun. Then we went inside and enjoyed a beautiful mass performed by the nuns of
Sacré-
Cœur. I loved the contrast and I loved seeing people of all kinds joyfully expressing themselves. This is
Sacré-
Cœur from a distance:

That night we ate at an amazing Moroccan restaurant. We were there during Ramadan so we were treated to a special dinner. It was a small restaurant with four or five tables run by two delightful women. We were treated to a tray of dates to start our meal. This is typically how Muslims break their fast during Ramadan. We enjoyed soup and couscous and chicken tagine.

Sunday we visited the Orangerie museum which houses Claude Monet's famous water lily paintings and works by many other impressionists. I discovered a new artist that I really liked named André Derain. Here is his
The Turning Road:

After three very full days, it was time to go home. Steve and I weren't ready but the Jane, Anna and Lucas were very happy to go back to Tours. On the way home, we visited the gothic cathedral of Chartres.

Steve and the kids climbed the tower while I took an audio tour down below. It really is a magnificent place. We've been studying religious architecture in my art/architecture class which made it even more interesting. I especially loved the sculptures on the columns outside of the cathedral:

Whew! I need a nap!
5 commentaires:
I'm glad you guys got to see the Chartres Cathedral. It's my favorite one in France. I've climbed the tower many times. We used to take breaks there and plan the rest of our days.
Right on. Did they not charge admission then? I mean, now it is several euros, which seems pretty expensive for the poor Americans that we were in those days.
PS - I watched a Faith No More video today. It reminded me of you.
Back in the day, it was 5 francs to clumb up the tower. So, about $1 then.
What video was it? I took the break up of Faith No More pretty hard. Even harder than the break up of Van Halen.
It was the goldfish one. I forget the name.
Hey, I went by the Paris 13e apartment last weekend. No missionaries there anymore... It was weird to be there again.
The video is "Epic". The goldfish supposedly belonged to Bjork. The stole it from her house after a party.
That's sad that the missionaries aren't there anymore. Maybe they kicked them out after Jason Derek Brown (FBI's most wanted) jammed the vide-odeur with all the old suits that had been left there. After he did that, we walked out of the building and the building super ran up to us and pointed his finger saying "I know it was you, I know it was you"
Post a Comment