OK, we've made it to Tours. It's amazing how much a trans-Atlantic flight can take out of a family of five... I'm not sure if it's the jetlag, the lack of sleep in the torture chamber plane, or
both. Probably both. We've been getting to bed at midnight to 3 am, waking up at 10-11 am, falling asleep at random moments all day, and generally enjoying ourselves.
But here we are, in this beautiful old city on the banks of the Loire River. Bucknell's apartment is big - 3 bedrooms - and recently and tastefully remodeled. The photo is of the river just below our apartment. There is a greenway along it for many miles. People stroll, ride bikes, and swim their dogs (oh, we miss you MacDuff!). Right now I have our fifth floor window open to the river, and I can hear the happy voices of les flâneurs (people strolling), and the wind in the tops of the plane trees.
We feel pinch-me lucky to be here. We've made some forays out into the town. Lucas is the hero of the day, showing himself fearless in his willingness to try to speak French ("Une baguette, s'il vous plait." "Merci!"), and the girls are just drinking it all in.
Our first night here, we went for a walk in the old town, which begins abo
3 commentaires:
I was not quite used to eating a lot after a day and a half of snacks and small meals so I was full after a small salad and a few pieces of bread (and not prepared for the huge mountain of pasta with sauce that came after!).
Thanks for your comments. I figured right away what you were talking about. I think it is very interesting that Lucas is also speaking the language. What a group you all are!
We took the long way home, through Canada and stopped in Seattle to see Rebecca and Kate. So,,,,,we just got home late last night and will probably not get you skyped until Tuesday AM. It would also be interesting to see pics of your apartment and what you do each day. I know that Monday will actually be your first day of actually doing routine things.
When do the girls start school and what will Lucas and Susan do during that time? It is all very interesting, thanks for the pics and the words with them. Love, Mom
Hi Mom,
School starts on Sept. 2. Lucas is going to go to school too! So Susan will have some time for Susan finally, and she is looking forward to that, and to lunches with her kids. She is going to take at least one course with the Bucknell students too.
Post a Comment