We recently went to the pool with our friends who were visiting from New York. It just so happens that one of them had an underwater camera! It's harder than you think to smile for the camera under water!We decided to try out the Aquagym for laughs.
Today Lucas and I were strolling along the street on the way home from school. We stopped and chatted with Anna's French teacher and then Lucas got kind of quiet. A few minutes later he said, "Mom, sometimes I wish I was French, then I would be more used to it here."
Culture Clash
The girls' English teacher recently told her students: "Some people say it's mean to say "Shut up!" but I just want you to know that I will tell you to shut up whenever I feel like it."
Culture Clash
Recently Jane's Greek teacher has taken to tearing papers out of student's notebooks if, in his words, "They don't please him."
Where do we live again?
While playing soccer with Steve the other night, Lucas said, "Dad, did you know that when we get back to English, mommy's going to sign me up for soccer?"
Lucas responds to a racy ad
Today we were driving to Auchan (the grand surface store) when we had to stop for a traffic light. Susan and I simultaneously noticed a strange billboard featuring a waist-up photo of an apparently nude woman with cryptic lines plotted across her torso. Just as we were registering what we were seeing, Lucas's little voice piped up from the back seat with a concerned "Oh dear!" as he saw the same thing. We burst out laughing.
Another night serenade
Our apartment is right next to the university library, and this area seems to be a bit of a nighttime gathering spot. Last night, we were serenaded by some young voyous (hooligans) clinking wine bottles and shouting out of the shadows.
A French Lesson
OK, Susan told me not to do this, but I can't help it...
There is a pretty glaring error in the French name of this blog. In French, when you refer to a family like "The Jordans," you shouldn't add the final "s." I don't know why. It is just one of those things - the plurals of family names don't have an "s." But when I named the blog, and made the URL for it, I accidentally added the s. I thought it looked wrong, but wasn't sure until I looked it up. But I'm not going to change it now. For one thing, all of you, our loyal readers, wouldn't be able to find us if I changed the URL. And for another, the title is sort of Franglais, and would look weird if it said the "Tours des Jordan."
The background photo
We took the background photo on Sunday Aug. 10 at Chinon, the place where Jeanne d'Arc came to seek the Dauphin and where Henry II died. More on that visit soon!
L'accordéon
Few sounds are more typically French than the accordéon.
The other night, we woke up at about 2 am to the sound of an accordéon being played below our open windows, down on the banks of the Loire. It was a magical impromptu concert, and we laid in bed smiling.
Our Brave Boy
Lucas has shown himself to be quite daring in his language experimentation. We went to Carrefour for groceries the other day, and with very little prompting, he took all the veggies to the produce counter to be weighed. "Merci!" he loudly announced each time the fellow printed out a sticker and stuck it to the bag.
0 commentaires:
Post a Comment